Recently, I asked my online audience to share some of their career struggles and challenges. I heard comments such as: how do I get unstuck in my career that feels like it’s at a standstill, how do I get recognized for work done well, how do I move to a different and more senior role, how do I become bolder and more in control over my career, how do I show my value, and how do I get out of being undervalued, overworked, and disempowered?
Now, let’s get real here for a moment. Most people really want their current career situation to change. In fact, when asked how important it is to them – they will often score it a 7, 8, 9 or even 10 out of 10. But here’s the truth. While many people want things to change, most people don’t want to change.
People will tolerate their frustrating current work situations for a very long time before they will take the initiative to make the changes they need to make, even if it makes them feel undervalued, underutilized, overworked, overwhelmed, or over stressed.
Why? So many career professionals simply allow life and career to get busy and take over and then they get comfortable with the stress and the overwhelm and then they simply get stuck in their role, and over time they settle for the way things are and forget about the way things could be if they were willing to make the effort to change.
So what would you have to change? Here are 5 big bold steps you can take:
- Be honest with yourself. If you could have changed your current situation on your own, you would have done so by now. Accept the fact that you really don’t want to change. And as long as you aren’t willing to change, you will have to accept that things won’t change either. According to Henry Ford (1863-1947), American founder of the Ford Motor Company “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
- Get the facts. Find out what’s really going on. Don’t assume you know what your boss or others think about you. Ask for feedback on how you are doing and what you can be doing to get yourself ready for your next career opportunity.
- Evaluate your situation. You may think you are the star performer in your group or department but you simply may have become the workhorse. And if that’s the case, you will need a plan to proactively move from being a key resource to being seen as resourceful.
- Be bold. Speak up and make your intentions known. Let others know what your dreams and aspirations are. Don’t wait for others to acknowledge your efforts and results. This is not the time to be shy about your accomplishments. Let your boss and others know when you hit a milestone or complete an important project.
- Get Support. Hire a professional coach to assist you in getting you to your goals. There is a reason why coaching is one of the fastest growing professions today. Because it works! A coach can help you close the gaps and get you to your goals.
How much longer will you tolerate being undervalued? If you believe “there is no way out of this situation”, I encourage you to challenge your thinking and explore some ways to change your mind set. You can get unstuck! You can get recognized for your value! But first you must be willing and ready to CHANGE!
Want to read more? Get a new article directly into your inbox every month: http://www.resultscatalyst.ca/