It’s that time of year again, a time for celebration, and spending time with friends and family. For some, it may also be a time to honor culture or religion. Regardless of your spiritual practice, for many this is a great time for self-reflection and clarifying personal and professional priorities for the New Year.
As the year comes to a close, and I prepare to reflect on this past year, and set my intentions for the New Year, a colleague suggested I consider developing a spiritual bucket list.
What is a spiritual bucket list? When I think of a spiritual bucket list, I think of activities that fuel my personal growth and development, items that help me be a better person, become a better version of myself and to truly live my highest potential. I also imagine things that feed my soul, and focus on my inner vs external development and journey.
Henry David Thoreau once said, “What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when we bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen.”
So in the spirit of the holidays, I’m sharing some of the items I came up with for my spiritual bucket list. I intend to use the list as my inspiration over the next 12 months.
1. Visit at least 10 of the sacred/holiest places in the world.
2. Learn to live in the now by living more intentionally.
3. Practice yoga regularly (at least 2x per week).
4. Meditate on a consistent basis (at least 3x per week).
5. Attend a silence/spiritual retreat.
6. Watch an inspirational movie at least once per month.
7. Read an inspirational book at least once per month.
8. Volunteer in my local community for a cause that I am passionate about.
9. Start the lessons in “A Course in Miracles”.
10. Practice compassion with friends, family and strangers.
Perhaps my list will inspire you to develop your own spiritual bucket list, or to at least consider some ways to tap into your highest best self now and always.
Want to read more? Get a new article directly into your inbox every month: https://lindacattelan.com/newsletter/.